Every realtor contends with continuing education, and it may begin to seem like a tremendous ordeal to renew your license regularly. The good news is that other New Jersey realtors have questions just like yours. These answers to your frequently asked questions will help clear up some of that confusion.
1. How are my continuing education credits reported to New Jersey’s license provider?
Your credits are automatically reported, but as a licensee you can still check the records by visiting the PSI continuing education tracking system online. There, you can verify that your credit hours have been accurately reported.
2. What are the continuing education requirements for New Jersey realtors?
Every realtor is required to take 12 continuing education credits in order to renew their license. Half of the credits must consist of core topics, including ethics. The remaining credits may be core courses or elective courses.
3. Does a broker need to complete the same continuing education as a salesperson to reinstate a license in New Jersey?
Brokers, salespeople, and broker-salespeople must all complete the same number of continuing education hours (12) in order to reinstate or renew a license.
4. Can I double up on credits now so they roll over to my next renewal term?
No, you may not roll credits from one term to the next for a licensing term. You must complete all 12 credits within the specified term.
5. Can you receive credit for the same course twice in one licensing term?
If you take the same course twice in the same licensing term, you are not eligible for credit both times. You can only earn credit once per term in New Jersey.
6. My New Jersey license has expired. What should I do?
If you fail to complete your continuing education requirements, your license will expire. In order to renew a realtors license in New Jersey, you must complete the continuing education requirements, pay a fee, and complete a reinstatement process.
7. I have a real estate license in both New Jersey and another state. Can I use the same continuing education credits for both licenses?
If the continuing education courses have been approved by licensing authorities in both New Jersey and the other state, you may be able to apply those credits to your New Jersey license renewal. In order for the courses to apply to New Jersey license renewal, they must have a continuing education course approval number and be an elective.
8. Is it possible to receive an extension to complete my continuing education requirements?
No extension currently exists for New Jersey realtors, except in the case of an extreme illness or active duty in the military. The waiver does not apply to conditions like financial hardship or personal obligations. Additionally, any core courses that have been waived will need to be made up in the following license term.
9. Does New Jersey allow me to take distance learning courses?
Yes, you are allowed to use distance courses as continuing education courses so long as they and the provider have been approved by the Commission.
Once you understand New Jersey’s continuing education requirements for realtors, you can better understand your next steps in renewing your license. Have more questions about continuing education? Contact us for more information about your options.